And you know a couple of years ago that really wouldn't have meant anything to me. But now a few years later and over $8,500 bucks raised for cancer research it means a lot to me.
A few years ago my grandma was diagnosed with breast cancer. I spent a whole lot of time with my grandma growing up. My pre-k, elementary school, high school and college were five mins away from my grandmas. My elementary school was in walking distance; my grandma walked me to school. She also woke me up, fed me, found the clothes my mom would drop us off with and made sure we did homework. I still remember the 'wash your face, brush your teeth song'.
When I joined my church a long time ago in vacation bible school. It was because of my grandma. She'd been a member of my church over 50 years, and a prominent member at that. My grandma was selfless, never gossiping, never angry. I don't remember seeing my grandma angry...ever. Even when us 4 grandchildren would destroy her house every summer. There are a million other things I could say about my grandma
So in 2009 when my grandma was diagnosed. I was like whatever, she'll get through it. And my grandma's typical fashion, she was always 'fine' when I asked her about it.
She was 'fine' through the mastectomy.
She was 'fine' when the cancer was gone.
She was 'fine' when the cancer returned. And had spread. Everywhere.
She was 'fine' the last day she was coherent in the hospital.
And I know, she's probably better than fine now, in heaven.
When I signed up for Leukemia & Lymphoma society's Team in Training last summer I was sold on the raising money for cancer part. I told my grandma and she gave me $50.00. At the beginning of this summer when I started gearing up for Vegas and fundraising taking my grandma off the prior donor list sucked.
I started this journey because of my grandma, and I came back for more because of my coaches.
![]() |
| John & Courtney (my partner in crime in the back of the pack, and John's daughter) |
This summer when Coach John was diagnosed with cancer. I was pretty floored. Last year coach John was with me when I HATED cycling. You know, after I signed up for TNT and found out it was a little more than a walk in the park. He was there all last summer when I dreaded practice. When I couldn't breathe, ever. Couldn't pedal more that 10mph, ever. And was generally over it.
SAG stops were always over that 'next hill'
It was always 'downhill from here....except for those uphills'
I dubbed him the coach that lies.
...and then I got an odometer so I knew exactly how far away SAG stops were.
But Coach John is Coach John, always happy, always believing you can do it (when I rarely believed that in myself), and no matter what awful training course we were on, it was always a beautiful day for a bike ride. Even when it's pitch black at 5am in the middle of nowhere, Texas.
It took me a whole summer to enjoy biking like John does. This summer I really did think its a beautiful day for a bike ride. I really did enjoy biking. And I didn't mind the uphills...especially since I can hold a conversation while going up one now. This summer I legit believed in myself. Craziness.
Cancer sucks. And I know it's indiscriminate, but it really seems to show up in the best people I've ever known. The people who I emulate and aspire to be. So this livestrong day, do something meaningful. Because you never know who's next.
I'm doing this for my grandma. I'm doing this for Coach John. Who knows, I maybe doing this for me in a few decades.


You're one of the best people I know, because you dedicate yourself fully to great things.
ReplyDelete