Tyler Durden, fight club.
So wise and true. It's been a while since I've written, and I mean really written. I'm going to try and do that more (so nows the time to subscribe or unsubscribe)
You see I've been thinking about this quote for a while. It reminds me of my biggest failure, weight loss. At the time I was most successful at it, I'd lost my best friend, and really had no friends here in town that I talked to on a daily or weekly basis, I also was somewhere in the process of losing my job. In short, it was 2008.
But in 2008, man I lost a lot of weight. I was free to workout every night, because either there was too much traffic when I left my job to do anything else, or I didnt have anything else to do because I had no friends. So yea, kick ass for the weight loss. It all culminated in 2009, when I did my first bike race. 40 miles, look how far I've come, lol. And then I got another job and it all started to come back. The friends, the after work activities, and sadly the weight.
So fast forward a couple of years. While I'm not at my highest weight of all time, and for fucks sake, lets just be honest, 260. I'm not at my lowest either, where I plateau'd right before I got sucked into the 70+ hour weeks of my last campaign, 215-ish. I'm somewhere in the middle of that. So back to that quote:
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."
A lot of that loss is still there. I dont listen to music or go to concerts as much anymore, and I trust people even less. But I have been happy with the friends I've made since and the career decisions I've made. So back to the weight. After the trials of training for a century ride this summer on a whim, I know two things. 1- I'm crazy. 2- If you set your mind to it, you can truly do anything. This year, or upcoming year rather I'm ready to conquer that weight thing. And since I'm never the type of person to take things one thing at a time. Its going to take a multifaceted approach.
1. I have to move out. As much as I like the free ness of living at home. I dont like the not living near nice hike/bike trails, healthy food establishments situation. That and living alone leaves me with no temptations in the house. Current house - 1 gazillion temptations. Hell, the house smells of bacon right now.
2. I have to save money to move out. Those years of non stable work environment have caught up to me, and I refuse to move out if I havent made a decent dent into my debt. There's a reason only rich, white kids work in politics. They're parents can afford it. In my situation my parents are visa, mastercard, discover and amex very diverse home. I'd like to bid adieu to mama discover and pops amex before I move.
3. I have to stop going out as much. As much as I love this! It gets in the way of working out. One drink turns, into dinner, then another drink and I've blown all the progress I've made. I've done it before when I had nothing, and given the incentive of moving out. I think I can make this happen.
4. There were others but I've forgotten them or something.
So there you have it. And I've truly, truly been inspired by bendoeslife.com, so we'll see where this goes. I want to start writing more, and this is the perfect way to do it...public accountability. Ugh. I'm exploring options on setting up a more public blogger and cross posting there, but until then, because lets face it that's not going to get done until I'm on vacation next week I'll be posting here. And I've had this blog for 9 years...I was a blogger before blogging was cool...so why not post here.
Next post - Goals. Goals for 2012 and rewards to make that happen. And a baseline, tbd next time I weigh in at the gym.
Yes this is really just a note to myself so I remember. New Years resolutions are cool, Starting 3 weeks before new years to get into a habit, even cooler.
0 comments:
Post a Comment